Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Samuel

Sam had quite the day today. As I mentioned earlier, we have started potty training again. Monday, he did great, even telling us he had to go and only having 1 accident all day. We were lulled into believing that he was getting it-that this was it!

Yesterday, we had a few more accidents, but still some successes. Today, I don't know if he made it to the potty once and he never told us he had to go until after he went. It was a discouraging day on the potty front. But, we are not giving up. He has to get it one of these days. I'm just thankful for Anna and Ellie who help out tremendously- they take him to the potty and clean up the messes, with a minimal amount of complaining. I don't know if we could even attempt it at this stage of my pregnancy without them helping so much.

I was getting supper ready tonight and had turned on the oven to put some rolls in. A few minutes later, I smelled something burning. Usually that means something has fallen into the burner. Not today. I looked around and saw smoke coming from the oven. I opened it up and saw my plastic measuring spoons on fire in the oven. I really didn't know what to do- it was really on fire. I didn't want to pick it up for fear it would fall and burn the floor and I didn't want to spray the oven with water, and we are out of salt, so I couldn't use that to put it out. Zack came in and sprayed them with water and the fire went out. Black ash rained down on the kitchen for a while after we got the fire out and the smell was horrible.

Who did it? Why, Samuel, of course. I have caught him throwing things in the oven before, but no one saw him do it this time. He knew he was in for it. He came in the kitchen, eyes wide and face serious. He walked over to his dad and held out his hand and said, "Spank my hand daddy."
I hope he learned his lesson- the house still smells faintly of burnt plastic.

No comments: