Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Benjamin's Birth Story

Paul and I arrived at the hospital at 8am on Friday, Feb. 22. I was nervous about two things: the starting of the IV and the starting of the epidural. We were taken to the recovery room and they got started with the IV. It took three tries to get it in- OUCH. After that ordeal, they hooked me up to the monitors and listened to the baby for a bit and waited for the doctor to arrive.

About 9:20, they took me back to the operating room where they tried to start the epidural. It didn't go well. They tried for about 25 minutes, and were going to try again when I heard the doctor say if this doesn't work, we'll have to put her to sleep. Well, I had had enough. If you've ever had an epidural, you understand. It is not pleasant to have needles stuck in your back. So I said just put me out. They didn't want to because then Paul couldn't come in when the baby was born. But I was done with the epidural. I told them to please just put me to sleep. And they did.

The next thing I remember was waking up in the OR with an incredible pain in my stomach. I didn't remember what was going on right at first, but quickly it came to me- I had the baby! I asked if the baby was alright and was assured that he was. They then took me to the recovery room and gave me something for the pain. I will say they got the pain under control quite quickly. Paul soon came in and showed me pictures of Benjamin on the camera.

Within 15 minutes, Benjamin joined us. We were able to spend the first 2 hours of his life alone with him, just the 3 of us. It was kind of nice! The labor floor was full, so we had to wait for a while for a room. Finally they had a room for us and we were able to move to it.

This was the first time that Paul stayed with me in the hospital, and it was kind of nice. I really enjoyed having him there. He helped me out alot, and got to spend lots of time with Benjamin.

No comments: