Friday, February 8, 2008

18 Years Ago....part 2

18 years ago today, I woke up early and made my way back to the little, boring labor room. The nurse started the pitocin again, and I lay there all day, waiting for my baby to come. It wasn't to happen. No contractions still, just lots of painful cramping. I wondered if he would ever come.

My mom came back to sit with me, hoping and praying that the baby would come, because she and my dad were going out of town the next day. It didn't happen. Paul came also and stayed with me throughout the evening. The doctor did tell me it might take a few days because I was not ready to give birth. But, like all first time moms, I thought for sure I'd be one of those that went fast. Was I ever wrong.

Sam woke up today with a fever and vomiting. He complained that his head hurt and he slept almost all morning. He asked me to give him "mediments" (medicine), so I know he wasn't feeling well. I gave him one dose of motrin, and it perked him up for the afternoon, but by bedtime he was fading again. I'm thinking it's just a bug-hopefully a 24 hour thing and that he will feel better by morning. He was so pitiful looking, pale and with sick eyes.

I was so tired and achy today. I think I could have slept all day, and did take a lengthy nap this afternoon. I'll probably pay for it tonight by not being able to get to sleep. 13 more days.

No comments: