Wednesday, February 13, 2008

February 13, 1987

21 years ago today, Paul and I went on our first date. But we didn't even consider it a date, because we weren 't dating. We were in college, and his home church asked him to come home and speak at the teen Valentine banquet. He also asked him to bring some special music with him. So Paul asked Faith, who happened to be my good friend, to help him organize a quartet that would travel to Connecticut and sing at the banquet. Well, my friend Faith was in LOVE with Paul, so she tried to select another girl very carefully, so she asked me. I had no interest in Paul. I barely even knew him. I agreed, because it was always fun to get away for the weekend.

So the weeks leading up to the banquet, the four of us met together and practiced. I got to know Paul a little better and found out he wasn't so bad, but there was nothing there- no spark. Faith, on the other hand, really enjoyed spending the time with Paul!

The day of the banquet we left school and traveled to Enfield. The banquet went fine, except that it was sooooo cold that night. After the banquet, we got in the car to drive to Paul's parents house, and I said something to the effect that it was really cold. Paul said yes it is and grabbed my hand and held it all the way home. That was different! Maybe this guy wasn't so bad after all!
My friend Faith about attacked me when we got to Paul's house! She did not like it that he held my hand and I had to tell her that I was doing NOTHING- it was all him. Needless to say, she was not very happy!
To make a long story short, we began dating, got engaged in November of that year and married in June of 88. 21 years ago it all started- who'd have thought that I'd marry that young boy and sit here, 21 years later expecting our sixth child. Amazing!

2 comments:

jwcreath@gmail.com said...

What a sweet story! We are looking forward to meeting Baby Ben. Won't be long now!

Dar

Anonymous said...

Dear Elizabeth, I would have thought it. From the day Paul was born I prayed for him to have a good godly loving wife. How thankful I am for you and those lovely and loving children. I have never had a day when I was not glad for GODS leading him to love you. Your Mother in Law