Saturday, February 9, 2008

18 years ago...part 3

18 years ago today, I woke up again to face another day on pitocin, not knowing if it would bring about a baby or not. I got started on the pit drip, and things just felt different. The cramping was more intense and there were signs that the baby was finally on the way. Finally around 3, I had dialated enough that the doctor could break my water. Once that happened, everything broke loose.


The cramps turned into contractions- long, painful contractions that got worse each time. Our insurance would not cover an epidural, so I went without. The nurse offered demerol, to "take the edge off". I accepted- anything was better than what I was going through. Or so I thought. The demerol made me so sleepy that I would fall asleep, and wake up right when the contraction was at its worst. As soon as the contraction was ending, I'd fall back asleep again. I was so groggy and was talking out of my head (according to Paul). It was miserable! (So much so, that with my second baby, I refused all pain relief because of the horrible experience I had with my first.)


Finally, I was getting close. They wheeled me into the delivery room, and at 10:52pm, Paul John Dziadul, Jr., was born. We did not know he was a boy. I felt he was a boy, but we had chosen not to find out. As soon as he was born, Paul, Sr, yelled out, "You got your boy!" Paul Sr. was so excited that when they handed the baby to him, he literally danced around the delivery room showing every doctor and nurse the baby. I finally said, "Hey! I want to see him!" and he brought me over the most beautiful baby I had ever seen.


I can't believe that baby is now 18. It seems I blinked my eyes and now he's grown. God really blessed us when he sent us Paul. He has always been a joy to raise and has far exceeded our hopes and dreams thus far. I am anxious to see how God uses him in the years to come. He has some ideas about his future, but nothing concrete yet. I do know that whatever girl God has in store for him will be privileged to have my son as a husband.


One of our dear friends in the church had a surprise party for Paul at her house tonight. She knew I would have a hard time pulling it off, being this pregnant, so she did everything for me. And was he surprised! About 20 of his friends came and lavished him with such nice gifts. He is not one for surprises or one to be the center of attention, but he enjoyed tonight. I am so glad- he deserves it.



1 comment:

Rebecca said...

He's such a good kid, Elizabeth. You and Paul have every right to be very proud of him. Please assure him his gift will come with grandma. We are so proud of the young man he's become. He looks so "adult" in these pictures!!!