Saturday, August 16, 2008

2008-2009


I spent the better part of this afternoon and evening planning out our upcoming school year. Paul very generously let me get away by myself so I could have some uninterrupted time to think. We plan on starting back to school on Monday and although I have been thinking, reading, researching and praying about which direction to take this year for a while, I had nothing concrete to begin with on Monday.


Every year is different. Our circumstances are different, the children are different, I have different students (OK, they're the same kids but different ages), I'm different, etc, etc., etc. I have found that not many things work the same from year to year. I envy those homeschoolers who use 1 curriculum all through their children's schooling. I have some things that we do the same, but those are few and far between.


I had some ideas of things I wanted to change and things I wanted to stay the same and in about 4 hours, I was able to get those thoughts translated into some day to day plans. I still have some work to do, but at least now I have the starting place for Monday. I was thinking back to our first year of homeschooling. I had no idea what I was doing and there was no Internet to consult. I did not know anyone who home schooled. All I knew of homeschooling was what I read in books I borrowed from the library and from 1 catalog I sent away for. Things have certainly changed. What took weeks and months to research and accumulate, now takes minutes and hours on the Internet. I was able to compile and research within a short amount of time.


We are beginning our 12Th year of homeschooling. I am cautiously optimistic about our year. I am praying God gives us our best year yet and hopefully, next Spring, we will be able to look back, amazed at how much we have accomplished.


I covet your prayers for our school year.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I am with you. I am trying to be calm and just work on what we NEED to work on and not worry to much..eeckk!
Yes we were at wildwood with Mrs.Jean. We had a blast.

Charles and Rebecca said...

My wife and I are going to be homeschooling our 2 kids this year - We are using the ACE curriculum for them (the same paces Paul and I had at Enfield Christian Academy with updated info of course). I enjoy your blog and catching up with old schoolmates and their families via Facebook. You will be in our prayers throughout the year. We are starting our school year tomorrow - via the childrens request!