Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010

Paul and I arrived at the hospital at 8:00. He let me off at the entrance to the crosswalk while he found a parking space, so I started the (what seemed to me) long walk across. It was surreal to think I was going to have a baby on this day. I mean, I've known for months she was coming, but to know she would be here in a matter of hours was unreal. We went to OB assessment, signed in and the tech took us back to recovery. (Paul had to run back to the truck to get the camera- what was he thinking??)



I wasn't too nervous or panicky, but I did have the distinct feeling of wanting to throw up. We went back to to the recovery room and I started getting prepped for the surgery. The nurse came in to start the IV and I began to get nervous. The past 2 deliveries I have had a hard time with the IV- very painful and taking several tries. I wasn't too optimistic about this one either. She looked at my arms and hands and said, do you mind if I put it in your forearm? It would be less painful than your hand.



Well, say no more! I know getting them in the hand is VERY painful so I was all for anything less painful. She started getting ready then said, here's a little pinch, so I braced myself and waited, and felt nothing! I was sure she hadn't gotten it in, so I asked her and she assured me it was in. Wow- I felt nothing! This made me rather hopeful that maybe the epidural would go in as easily.



Next was drinking the antacid. This stuff is horrible, but I've done it before and I knew I could do it again. She handed it to me and as I began to bring it to my mouth I thought: swig it. Get it over quick and swig it. Bad idea. I got about 3/4 down and then threw it all up out of my nose. It made my nose burn badly, and it made me heave and retch for a few minutes. Ugh. They couldn't give me any water, just a cloth to blow my nose. The worse part? I had to start all over again. I can assure you I drank it much slower.



They did whatever else they had too, gave Paul his scrubs and I began the long (well it seemed long to me) walk back to the OR. It was the same OR that I had been in with Ben. I sat on the table, getting ready for the epi. I still wasn't panicky, but was becoming increasingly so. They started doing what they needed to do; I yelled ow several times and quoted my verse several times. But before I knew it, they were putting tape on my back. I looked up in shock and asked the nurse are they done? Yes she said, they are just taping it up. Whoa! I mean, I felt it and it was uncomfortable, but it went right in!! Thank you God. I could tell people were praying for me. They lay me down and put the drape on.



A few minutes later, in walked Paul. He was so pleased to be able to be there this time. They hadn't put the drape up high enough, so he had to really try and avert his eyes so he didn't see any of the surgery. It seemed to me that it took them forever to get to Emma. It was about 40 minutes before I felt them pushing on my belly so hard, trying to pop her out. They finally got her out and the whole team of doctors, nurses and students let out a collective, Awww!



I looked at Paul and he had tears filling his eyes; I joined him as I heard Emma crying her first cry. Our baby was finally here! Paul had snapped a few pictures when they lifted her out and we looked at them and tried to figure out what she looked like. A few minutes later they called him back and he was gone for about 5 minutes and when he came back, he had her in his arms. She was so beautiful! He pulled back her hat and showed me her hair, but all too soon he had to leave with her.



The rest of the c/s took over an hour. I was very impatient- I just wanted to be done and out of there. But I am glad they took their time and did it right. About 20 minutes after Emma and Paul left, one of the nurses answered the phone and then made the announcement that she was 10 lbs, 8 oz. Wow! Everyone gasped then cheered! I was shocked- she was bigger than Zack. I never, ever thought that could or would happen. About 30 minutes later the phone rang again and when the nurse got done talking, she came over to me and said you have a very loving husband. He is checking up on you.



Finally we were done and wheeled back to recovery. I had to spend an hour in recovery before going to my room. Paul came in and showed me all the pictures of Emma, but it wasn't like seeing her. I couldn't wait to get my hands on that baby.



They took us to my room, and on the way I got to push the button for lullaby that sounds throughout the hospital when a baby is born. I remember pushing it for Ben also. Quite a proud moment! We got to my room, got situated, the kids got there, Nana and Poppy were there, but still no Emma. I was having a hard time waiting for my baby!



Finally the door opened and the nurse rolled in the baby. Paul picked her up and handed her to me. Ahhh, such a sweet feeling, holding that baby I've only dreamed of for months. I looked her over, as best I could, and kissed her and handed her back to Paul because I know the kids wanted turns. Everyone wanted a turn with Emma, but I think Ben was the cutest. He sat right down and put his hands up and took her. He looked at her, rubbed her head and bent down and kissed her. So sweet.

The rest of the day was spent in holding and loving on Emma. I could only hold her for a few minutes at a time because of the incision pain, but even just getting to lay my eyes on her was a joy. When I first saw her in the OR, she immediately reminded me of Zack- she had the same look her did. But as the day wore on, I was able to see most of my kids in her. As Paul was handing her to me at some point, I looked at her little face and said that's Anna's face! The more I thought about it, the more I realized she looked alot like Anna.

Her jet black thick hair had every captivated. It's not baby hair and it is so soft and shiny. Most people here don't realize that the first 4 of our children had this same type of hair, especially Paul and Zack. Emma's hair is beautiful and we wished all day we had a brush and some bows to put in it.

The kids left for the night and Paul and I settled in. (Of course, I was already settled in seeing as how I wasn't moving yet!). We talked about the day and of course, kept looking at Emma. We did wonder how the night would go, but she did great. She slept from about 1:30 to 5 and was up every 2-3 hours before and after that.

I have lots of pictures of that day, but that will be for tomorrow. This post has gotten long enough and I'm tired.

No comments: