Friday, September 12, 2008

Parenting

Parenting is hard. I guess I thought it would get easier the longer you parented, but, so far, it hasn't. I think one of the hardest things about it is it's always changing because the children are growing. I remember when my children were all little, thinking how hard and tiring it was, and longing for them to get just a bit older so it wouldn't be so hard. Ha!

I've been reading a parenting book called, "Have a Different Kid by Friday" by Kevin Leman. I don't agree with everything he says, but I do agree with alot of it, and it has opened my eyes to some things that I have let go of. He has alot of helpful suggestions and is able to boil parenting down to a few, key principles. I've been trying to live out these principles this week and the result has been a happier, less stressed mom and unhappy, surprised children. But I think within the next few days, they will become more happier also.

In order to change your kid, you've got to change yourself. Where do you think your kids learned all their behavior from? You've trained your child to behave exactly the way he behaves, whether good or bad. Ouch. I hate it when they put it all on me!! (just kidding)

No comments: