Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Facebook, or When Worlds Collide

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George Costanza makes that statement that his "worlds are colliding"? I can identify.


I was first introduced to Facebook about 6 months ago. I was thrilled because most of my mom's side of the family was on it and I was able to keep in contact with aunts, uncles and cousins that I didn't get to see but every few years. It was fun and I really enjoyed it. After that, it seems some people that I do life with now discovered facebook and we connected. Slowly, people from my past have been popping up everywhere. Friends from college, high school, youth group and previous churches have become my friends on Facebook. It has been alot of fun reconnecting with these people from the past and the present.

However, I have found, that I have a hard time keeping all the time periods straight. I see a friends name and have to remind myself what time period they are from. I frequently put the wrong people in the wrong time period and can't understand what "feels" wrong. It feels, at times, like my "worlds are colliding!"

Seriously, it has been so enjoyable to meet old friends again. Who would have thought that you could join a group filled with people from high school? People you haven't given a thought about in over 20 years and now, you're talking? Amazing.

The downside of facebook is that it is addicting. It is so easy to spend too much time on there- I have to limit myself severely. I guess that's like anything in life, however. Another downside is realizing how much time has passed and how much older you have gotten. Nothing makes you feel old like seeing your friends old! Today, I wished a happy 26th birthday to a man I used to babysit, a man whose birth I remember!! Incredible!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I hear ya, it is SOOOOO addicting!!!!