Saturday, February 24, 2007

Who is that Girl?

May, 1988, Boston Massachusetts. I had just graduated valedictorian of my class- I was on cloud 9! My Dad was congratulating me and I was just floating. My dream thoughout the four years of college was to do well and for my parents to be proud of me. They footed the bill and I worked very part time for spending money. I felt very indebted to them. I was telling this to a friend of mine and he said, "You just need to do your best so they will be proud of you". This conversation took place the beginning of my first year and I determined to take his advice.

So when I graduated valedictorian, I was elated! I had done it- I had made them proud of me. I know they would have been proud of me regardless, but it felt so right to have it known publically how well I had done.

That seems like years ago- like it was someone else. I look at that picture and wonder where that young girl went. I dream of going back into that time when my biggest responsibility was getting homework done and getting up in time to eat breakfast. I was so naive and so innocent about life. Too bad youth is wasted on the young when they have no idea how good they have it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree and have felt the same way.

Carey said...

congratulations on such success.