Monday, July 1, 2013

Trying to get back...

It's been hard to get back, much harder than I anticipated.  I was gone for about 5 weeks this summer and I've been home almost 2 weeks but we are still not back in our "routine".  The fact that it is summer break doesn't help and the fact that we are in the middle of construction/remodeling doesn't help. 

But I'm tired of it.  Vacation is fun and wonderful and relaxing, but it's not life.  We weren't made to live like that for extended periods of time.  At least I wasn't.

Paul leaves for Brazil on Saturday; the majority of this week will be spent helping him get ready for that trip.  Our classical school has a 3 day conference next week and I am in charge of 20 3,4,and 5 year olds. It takes a lot of time and energy to plan activities for 3 full days for them.  I had also wanted to get ahead and plan out several weeks for the school year for Classical Conversations and of course, I have my own children's schooling to plan out.  I wanted to give my house a complete cleaning and reorganizing and of course, I wanted to enjoy lazy summer days with my children.  I had also wanted to make a couple of baby quilts for babies due this Fall.  Our ladies ministry at church badly  needs some time and attention as does the children's ministry.

One question.  How do I fit it all in??

These are all important things and all deserve my time and attention, but when I look at that list, I tend to get overwhelmed and then I do nothing.  I'm trying to sort out the urgent from what can wait, the important from the trivial.  I know this is just a busy season in my life and it will pass.

But my children won't wait.  They continue to grow and change and mature when I'm not looking.  Anna will probably be married within a year.  I don't want to panic, but there is so much more I wanted to teach her and so many more things we wanted to do together before she marries.  My children are my priority- they have to be.  My time with them is so fleeting.  Emma will be 3 on Saturday and sometimes I look at her and wonder how she got so big so quickly.

I guess this list of mine will work itself out and I will get through the rest of this summer, getting done what I can and putting off what I can't.  My prayer is that God will open my eyes to the important, to the things that really matter and that I will take action on those things and put off the rest.

How's your summer going?



No comments: