Thursday, March 12, 2009

Aunt Sue

My Aunt Sue went home to be with Jesus last Saturday morning. She suffered a massive stroke 2 weeks before and never regained consciousness. It was very unexpected and a shock to her family, to say the least. Our entire family is still reeling from the suddenness of it all.

My earliest memory of Aunt Sue happened when I was about 4 or 5, I think. We were at a park for some sort of a family reunion. I was playing on the merry go round, which was very old and made out of wood. I laid on my belly on the seat and in doing so, I got a splinter. I pulled out what I could, but half of it was still embedded in my belly. I went to my mom and she couldn't get it out, so she took me to Aunt Sue, who had long fingernails. I remember how nice and gentle she was, reassuring me all the while that it wouldn't hurt. And it didn't.

I remember Uncle Bill and Aunt Sue coming to visit us several times while I was growing up. There was great excitement around our house when they were coming. The picture above is during one of those visits. Bill and Sue loved kids and it showed.

The last time I saw Sue was at Grandma's funeral, about 15 months ago. She was thrilled about our new baby on the way. She loved babies, hers and anyone elses. I always looked up to her because she homeschooled her children, just like I do.

As we were in church last Sunday morning, I couldn't help but think about Aunt Sue when we sang the last verse of Rock of Ages. Sue loved Jesus, and it was very evident in the fruit of her life.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Elizabeth, thank you for this post! I appreciate your memories so much. It's a great picture, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Beth, I am so sorry for your families loss. I find a lot of peace whenever we sing (When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, We've no less days to sing GODS praise than when we first begun.) As the years pass since my Annas death I think of her. Love, Mom