Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Grandparents Day

As I'm sure you know, Grandparents Day was on Sunday. It got me thinking about my own grandparents. We didn't live close to either set, so we had a long distance relationship, with visits once or twice a year.




These are my dad's parents. The first picture was taken in 1944, when my dad was just a baby. The second picture was taken shortly before my Grandma died in 1985. I look at that picture of my grandmother with her babies and wonder if she realized how fast time would fly. Did she realize that before she knew it, her babies would have babies of their own? Sometimes the quickness of the passing of time frightens me. I'm sure, at that point in time, it seemed like her life would always be the way it was, it seemed like nothing would change. But now, her children are grandparents and probably will become great grandparents within the next few years.




These are my mothers parents. They were taken in the 1940's. My grandparents had 9 children, and my grandmother told me a few summers ago, they would have gladly taken some more. She said they welcomed each new baby that God sent them. As I look at these pictures and see the young parents, again I wonder. What were their thoughts at this time in their lives? Did it dawn upon them that life would not always be this way?

I guess I have been doing alot of thinking lately about how time tricks us into believing that life will always be this way. I remember thinking that when my boys were little. I had a hard time seeing past the preschool years- it seemed that I would always have little children and babies around. And I did, for quite a few years. But time marched on, and the little children have turned into grown men. And I don't know where the time went.

This is Paul's last year of homeschooling. Paul, Sr. and I talked last night about Paul's future. It was almost surreal. I guess I still don't fully realize that he is almost 18- maybe I don't want to face that fact yet. But it's coming, whether I want it to or not. He will turn 18 shortly before our new baby is born. And Zack is right behind him, with the girls following close behind.

I'm so glad God sent us Samuel and the new life inside. They bring life and joy to our home, for which I am so grateful. Yes, time goes fast. Yes, it is a little scary at times. But no, I wouldn't want it to stop. As much as it hurts to see my children growing, I delight in seeing them grow; in seeing them reach each new level of independence; in seeing them take on more and more responsibility; in seeing them become men and women of integrity.

Thank you Father for each child that you have sent to grace our home. May we never forget what a gift each one truly it. Teach us to make the most of each moment they are with us.

No comments: