Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Adventures

Last night, Paul and I went out to dinner at one of our favorite places, Carrabba's. Someone had given him a gift card there, so we were excited to use it. We had a nice, relaxing, delicious dinner and then headed on home, where we were surprised to see that Benjamin was still up. (Usually when we leave him, the big kids put him to bed at 8 on the dot) It was about 9 when we got home, so I knew he needed to go to bed. But we sat down in the living room and chatted for a bit. I had just decided to get up and put him to bed when I heard Zack rushing down the hall.

He was talking rather fast and loud, saying that Ben had cut himself bad. My heart dropped and all I could think about was when Sam had sliced his foot so badly on a piece of glass and ended up getting 8 stitches. I didn't know if I could go through that again.

So Paul and I looked at his foot. He actually had 2 cuts, one on his heel and one on his calf. The one on his calf was the one that had us worried- it was very wide. So we decided to go into the doctor's and let him determine if it needed stitches. I prayed that it didn't.

We arrived to a full house at the doctor's and realized that probably most people inside were there because of the flu. That was a sobering thought. So we tried very hard not to touch anything and especially not to let Ben touch anything.

We waited for about 2 hours to see the doctor. He came in, looked at the cuts and said the one on Ben's calf needed stitches. Paul jumped right in and asked the doctor to just use dermabond- super glue- on it instead and told the Doc that we weren't that concerned about scars. So, thankfully the doctor agreed. But poor Ben. They had to wrap him up in the papoose, which he HATED. He screamed and kicked and thrashed around in that thing until he was dripping with sweat and his face was bright red. I felt so bad for him. He was so relieved to get out of there!

He's fine today, running around with a small limp, but no worse for the wear. One of the best things about the dermabond is that he can take baths- you can't get stitches wet. So all in all, it worked out well. Thank you God!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor, poor Ben! It didn't seem to slow him down at church too much last night! Speaking of church, we missed you last night. I hope you're feeling better today.

Cherie