Saturday, March 22, 2008

Ellie's Birth Story

I was due with Ellie on March 22nd. It was a relatively easy pregnancy, and there were no complications until the last 1-2 weeks when I was put on bedrest due to my blood pressure. Even though she was my fourth child, she was the first one I went into labor on my own with, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

About 5 days before her due date, I began to have contractions. They varied in intensity and in duration, so I wasn't sure what was happening. 2 days before she was due, the contractions became more intense and more in frequency. Since this was my first "real" labor, we called the doctor and he said we need to wait until they contractions were closer together. So we waited.

She was due on Monday. Sunday afternoon and evening the contractions picked up alot and other things happened that let me know labor was imminent. Early in the morning, Paul and I went to the hospital, sure that this was it. We checked in and they checked me and I was barely dilated. So they told me to walk for an hour and they check again. I did. I did not progress any, so they sent me home.

I was frustrated at this point. These contractions were so painful and because they weren't doing anything, it made me mad. We got home to discover my mom (who had been staying with us) had been sick with food poisoning. We tried to get some sleep, but between the painful contractions and everything else, it was next to impossible.

I had a doctor's appointment the next day, my due date. We got up and Paul drove me there. The doctor was surprised I was having contractions and checked me- I was at a 5 and maybe more. She ordered me to go right to the hospital. I told here we couldn't- I didn't have the camera with me. She said forget the camera! But I knew how I am in labor (slow), so we went home and got the camera (it was only around the corner) and then we even went and paid the electric bill!

I got to the hospital around noon, they broke my water, started pitocin and an epidural and I labored in comfort right until the end when the epidural wore off. She was born at 8:16pm, weighing 9lbs., 3 oz.

Ellie was a great baby- I don't recall any problems or issues with her. She did have her days and nights mixed up at first, but we straightened that out and by 6 weeks she was sleeping through the night. She has always been unique and has brought great joy to our house. I can't believe she is 9 already. She is a great help with Sam and Ben and will one day be a great mother.

Happy 9th birthday Ellie- I love you!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday, Miss Ellie!!!!!! We love you so much!!!! Grandma will bring your present with her. Miss you so much!!
Aunt Rebecca