Friday, October 19, 2007

The Ultrasound

We arrived at the doctor's office at 9:30, right on time for my appointment. After filling out some papers, we sat and waited for an hour. There were a few other people waiting also. Finally, the nurse called my name and we went back into the exam room, where they took my blood pressure (it was on the high end of normal) and other fun stuff like weight. Then we followed the nurse down the hall to what I thought would be the ultrasound room. Nope. We went into another waiting room and waited.for.another.hour.

Finally, the tech called my name and we went into the ultrasound room. As she was getting ready, she asked me if we knew the gender. I said no, but we were hoping to find out. Within 30 seconds of starting, she said, Oh! It's a boy. I wasn't surprised at all- I kind of had a feeling it was a boy. I was thrilled for Sam to have a brother close in age. She then looked at the baby, and took several measurements. He was moving all around and she had to chase him down a couple of times. At one point, he had both of his little feet pressed up against my stomach. It was so cute!

The ultrasound took about 45 minutes. After, she led us back down the hall and into a little room where we waited.for.another.hour. I'm not kidding. It was an entire hour of waiting to speak with the doctor. Finally he came in and told us right off that everything on the ultrasound looked great. It seems my risk for downs syndrome is 1:68, just because of my age. My increased risk (due to the blood test) was 1:50. I didn't think that it was that big of deal. He said because of the good ultrasound, the risk went up to 1:168, but even though the ultrasound didn't show anything, it still missed 1 of 3 cases of downs syndrome.

He told us we could have an amnio, which we politely refused or come back in a few months for another ultrasound. We haven't decided yet if we will.

So that was the marathon doctor's appointment. We walked in at 9:30 and out at 1:30! I wonder when those nurses eat lunch???

Paul and Paul Jr. are off hunting today. They'll be back tomorrow sometime and then leave again next Thursday for another hunt. I hope they get some deer for all the work they put into hunting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was a long appointment. Glad everything looks okay!