Saturday, October 6, 2007

An Increased Risk

Not the words you want to hear from the obstetrician. I got a call from the ob. this week, telling me my baby has an increased risk for down's syndrome. I don't know any of the numbers or anything more specific, just that there is an increased risk. They took blood from me and tested it for levels of specific markers. This test does have alot of false positives; in fact, the dr. told me that in the 8 years this practice has been open, they've had hundreds of "increased risks" but not one of them has ended with down's syndrome. I'll be honest, it threw me for a loop. I told Paul, that on one hand, it doesn't make a bit of difference. I will gladly love and accept any baby God sends me.

On the other hand, it opens up a whole new set of questions and expectations of which I am not familiar. This is a whole new area of pregnancy/baby/childhood that we know nothing about. It's a bit scary and very much unknown.

So I go for a level 2 ultrasound in about 2 weeks. They will look for markers that indicate down's syndrome, but the ultrasound will not be definitive. The only sure way to tell if a baby has down's syndrome is with an amniocentisis, and that is not an option for us. There is a marked risk of miscarriage, which we are not willing to take.

Most of me wishes I didn't know this; now I will be concerned for the rest of the pregnancy. I won't worry- that can't change anything. And truth be told, if this baby has down's syndrome, then I will praise God, for He ordained this little baby's life before the world began. And He knows what's best for me, the baby and the rest of our family.

Keep us in your prayers. Like I said, this is unfamiliar territory, and with the unknown usually comes fear. Pray that we will have peace and joy no matter what.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying for peace and joy. Keep us posted!