Sunday, October 21, 2007

Homecoming Sunday


Today was Homecoming Sunday at our church. Not having been raised in the South, my husband and I had no idea what this was when we moved here 7 years ago. To put it simply, on Homecoming, you "come home" to a church you previously attended. We had some old attenders come today and it was so nice to see them, but we generally don't have that many come back. The church was comfortably full and there was a sweet spirit evident. Paul preached a mighty message today and he preached hard.

After the service, the church presented him with a gift for clergy appreciation Sunday. Our church has always been more than generous when it comes to this. Our first year here they sent us on a 5 day Caribbean Cruise! They asked me several weeks ago what they should do for Paul. I knew they were going to ask, so I started thinking about what I should tell them. The last two years they have given us money for some needed repairs on our house, but this year, I wanted it to be something just for Paul, something he would never do for himself.

He broke his guitar several months ago, and I knew he would never buy himself a nice one, so I told the deacon about that. Well, he took it and ran with it! He got with another few men in our church who knew something about guitars, and they got him such a nice one! He was so surprised when they came in carrying the guitar case but he was shocked when he opened the case and saw what kind of guitar they got him. It was a Seagull. Now, if you are like me, that name means nothing. But if you are a guitar player, you know it is the "rolls royce" of guitars. They are each handmade and so beautiful when played. He would have never been able to get one for himself.

It was a great day!

No comments: