Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Tape Recorder

Originally posted Apr. 21, 2006


My 13 year old son bought an old, used tape recorder at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago. He is enthralled with it. He told me proudly that he was taping a couple of cd's so he could have them on tape. I chuckled to myself- I remember taping records to tapes!



He has been taping around the house for a few days and then playing back what he has taped. I listened to one of his playbacks and was first shocked, and then dismayed at what I heard. No, not one of the kids mouthing off. It was me. My voice was so hard and so ugly. I wasn't chewing anyone out, I was just giving instructions. Frankly, if I was one of the kids, I wouldn't have wanted to listen to me. What happened to me? If the phone rings, I don't talk like that to the person on the other end.



I have let myself get in a bad habit and thanks to his tape recorder, I am trying to change the way I speak to my children. But I can't do it. God has to do it through me and remind my 24/7 to be aware of how I'm speaking.



If you want a quick reality check, have someone tape record your day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great reminder! Thanks for helping me take a check of how my voice sounds too.

Jamie said...

Ouch. Guilty here. I'm trying to work on it but it is SO hard!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your encouragement on my blog. I, too, speak harshly often. Even when I'm not upset or angry, my voice is very hard and abrupt. I'm sure the kids don't like it.

Maybe I'll get my 9yo to tape me...ouch!

MJ @ www.homeschoolblogger.com/motherjoy