Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sunday

I had a weird Sunday today. I woke up and was bustling around in the kitchen, getting the meal ready to take to church when Samuel woke up. Anna went in to get him up and brought him out and he was crying. He kept saying he had a "leg boo boo". I thought that meant he had a diaper rash, so Anna changed his diaper, but no rash. He screamed whenever we moved or touched his leg. He didn't hurt it yesterday, as far as I knew, so this was strange behavior. We laid him on the couch while I finished the meal and thought about what I should do.

I called Paul and he told me to take him right away to the doctor. We have a great pediatrician's office that is open on weekends, so I dropped the other children off at church and Samuel and I headed for the doctor's.

I prayed all the way there that this would be nothing, but the not knowing can cause fear in and of itself. We got there, and went in and signed in. He wanted to play with the toys, so I situated him in a chair in front of the toys while we waited. Samuel tried to get up and walk, but fell down. He eventually was able to walk on his leg, but with a pronounced limp.

When we got back to see the doctor, I explained what had happened. The doctor looked at his leg and moved it all around. Samuel winced when he did this, but he didn't cry. The doctor said he probably hurt it yesterday and it got stiff during the night which made it very painful when he woke up. He told me to keep an eye on him for the next few days, and bring him back in if the limp doesn't go away.

So that's where we are. His leg is very tender right now. I am racking my brain trying to remember what he did yesterday, but I cannot remember anything. Please pray for Samuel's leg that it will heal itself.

Zachary left for teen camp for a week today. It's the first time Paul Jr. didn't go. He has work commitments this week that he couldn't get out of. It's tough becoming an adult!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, I hoped you blogged about Sam because we were unable to stay yesterday. I pray the doctor is right, however keep a close eye on this one, as kids under 2 often can have fractures and they will act just as Sammy has. Jason has seen this a few times at the FD.
If your unsure or uneasy in the next day or so, get an xray done.
A friend of ours (Steve and Crystal) 2yo was jumping on a trampoline by herself with mamas supervision. She jumped wrong and never cried, the next day she did the same as Sam and they brought her to the doctor, she had a hairline fracture just below her knee and was in a full leg cast for 8 weeks. It thankfully wasn't in the growth plate.

I don't want to alarm you, I just want to caution you. We will keep Sam in our prayers.

Have a great week!