Thursday, June 7, 2007

Grandma's Quilt


Several years ago, I inherited one of my most precious possessions. My Grandmother's quilt came into my possesion quite unexpectedly. I have always loved quilts, but to have one that belonged to my Grandma was extra special.


Grandma received this quilt as a wedding present. She and Grandpa were married on June 18, 1939. Ironically, I was married on this same date, 49 years later. The ladies in her church made this quilt for her, each one embroidering a square with their name and a flower on it. I have read those names countless times over the years, and wondered just who each lady was and if they are still alive.

There are several names on this quilt whose last names I recognize because they are related to me somehow. I wish my Grandma was still alive and could tell me more about this quilt. I would love to know the stories behind the names.

It is a unique feeling sleeping under this quilt that my Grandparents slept under many years ago. I hope one day to pass it to my granddaughter, along with the legacy of the importance of marriage and family and tradition.

No comments: