Monday, June 18, 2007

Happy Fathers Day (a day late)

Leaving for College Sept. 1984
Memories of Dad
  • I remember one time being in his office, which was very much off limits to us kids. I was having a great time listening to the radio with his big headphones on and twirling around in his office chair. I twirled a little too far and pulled the connector off of the headphone cord. My heart dropped in my stomach. I told mom and she said I needed to tell dad when he got home. I waited in my room for what seemed like hours (but was probably only a few minutes) and when I heard him come in the front door, I started down the stairs, very scared of what would happen. As soon as I saw him, I started crying and told him through my tears that I had broken his headphones and had been in his office without permission. He said to me, "That's aright. I can always get another pair of headphones" and he put his arm around me to comfort me.
  • Dad always gave his Chistmas gifts very uniquely. He would wait until all the presents were opened and we were playing with our gifts, and then say, "Look. I see more presents under the tree!" Of course, we all would run to the tree and tell him that no, there were no more presents. He would insist there were and to keep looking. Sure enough, there were envelopes stapled to the tree trunk, one for each of us, even mom, with money inside.
  • I remember my dad taking us trick or treating every Halloween, from the time I was little until I was a teenager. It was our tradition, as soon as we got home from school, to dress up in our costumes, and go with dad. I have memories of him lifting me up on porch steps to get to the door when I was about 3 1/2 in Albany NY.
  • One time when mom and dad were visiting us, my dad started a paper airplane fight, using the ceiling fan. It got very loud and very rowdy and my kids loved seeing their Grandpa like that.
  • He gave each of my older sons one of his "retired" pulpit Bibles on their 13th birthdays. He used those Bibles to preach from for several years. My sons treasure those Bibles.
  • My Dad never yelled at us. I have no memories of him ever raising his voice (unless he was calling for us). The older I have gotten, the more rare I realize this is.
  • Dad loved mom and never treated her disresptfully or even spoke harshly to her. He provided a great model for us kids of what a husband should be.
Dad, thanks for being a great father to me and a wonderful grandfather to my children. I am so thankful that God gave me to you! I love you.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

What a wonderful father you have! You are blessed!