Monday, April 30, 2007

Thumbsucking Troubles






Our third son and fifth child, Samuel, has been a thumbsucker since he was 2 months old. He found his thumb then and has not let it go! He is our first and only thumbsucker. He is two years old, and sucks his thumb more than not. Since he is our only thumbsucker, I am unsure of many things. Is he old enough to give it up? Will he give it up on his own? Can I entice him to give it up? Am I in for years of frustration and heartache in trying to make him give it up? Any of you who have experience in this area, please let me know how it went for you and any tips you may have for me.


Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 43 and sucked my thumb until I was...OMG do I dare say? 8 at night...my kids never sucked their thumb, the one that had nothing is in braces, the one that had a pacifier at night and in the car until age 4 never had braces, another one that did not use either paci or thumb has braces too.
Hang in there! I think it makes it worse on parents thinking sucking thumb=braces...in our case it was not so.
The famous Dr. Sears says

http://www.parenting.com/parenting/child/article/0,19840,648213,00.html

Anonymous said...

I'm of the opinion that it is the CUTEST thing that little ones can do, I tried to make mine suck their thumbs but they just wouldn't take it.
I've know kids that have given it up without problems and some that no matter what mama has done they aren't going to stop.
We actually have a friend that still sucks on HIS thumb when he gets nervous or something exciting is happening, he's in his 30's. LOL
I've known some to have braces and some not need them at all. Is it really hurting him? Can you see a change in his teeth? I lean towards the school of thought that when he is ready he'll give it up...but my friend is 30 and um, still sucking his thumb on occasion. LOL