Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ornaments

Over the 22 years that we have been married, we have accumulated alot of Christmas ornaments. But the ones that are the most special to us are the family ornaments that we try to get every year. These pictures show some of those ornaments and if you look closely, you can see how our family has grown over the years.
Of course, the baby ornaments are also special. Here is Emma's first ornament, given to her by my Aunt Pat when she was here a few weeks ago. I love it!
This is the most special ornament I own. It is from 2003 when we had four children and one "baby" on the way. This is the baby that we lost about a week after I bought the ornament. When I unpack this each year, it is always bittersweet. I think about how happy and excited we were when we bought this ornament. Paul and I picked it out together and we laughed about how our family was growing. And then I remember the pain and disappointment when we realized that this baby had already gone to heaven and would not be joining our family here on earth. I'm so glad I have this small token, to remind me of the happiness and joy that little 11 week old baby brought into my life for such a short time.

This is our ornament from last year. The "baby" here was Emma. We haven't got our ornament for this year yet- it's still being made.
And this was very sad when I unpacked the ornaments a few nights ago. This sand dollar is from 1990, from Paul Jr.'s first Christmas. We went to the craft fair in Safety Harbor in 1989 and 1990 and bought a sand dollar ornament each year. Miraculously, they have survived until this year. I have noticed that they have become very fragile in the last few years, but I will make sure they are well packed when I put them away this year. I haven't decided how to try and fix this one yet.

No comments: