Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jantsen's Gift


Jantsen's Gift by Pam Cope A true story of Grief, Rescue and Grace
I was sent this book to review. It looked like an interesting book, so I was looking forward to reading it. What I didn't realize was how interesting it was going to be. This is a book I was not able to put down. I spent any spare minute I had reading it.
Pam Cope was an "ordinary" mom and wife. She owned and worked at a hair salon, had two kids in school, and lived in the suburbs, but always had a nagging feeling that her life was not all that it was supposed to be. Tragically, her son Jantsen died at the young age of 15 from a chronic heart condition. As you can imagine, this threw Pam's life for a loop. She struggled with her grief, being admitted to the hospital at one point and she battled depression also for years.
She and her family accepted an invitation to visit Vietnam. Pam thought it would help her grief if she were able to get away from the familiar for a while. She never thought that trip would change the entire course of her life.
The book details that trip, along with many other trips that literally changed Pam's, her husband and her daughter's life. Pam has been able to do incredible things for many unfortunate children around the world. I especially enjoyed the chapters on Lake Volta in Africa and the stories of how they were able to save so many children from slavery.
I would have liked to hear Pam share more of her faith and how God sustained her during her darkest hour. She does share somewhat about God's grace in her life, but I would have liked to hear more.
This book is a great read, and I have two copies I'd like to give away. If you'd like one, leave me a comment and I will get it to you.
*This is a Mama Buzz review and the book Jantsen's Gift was provided to me by The Hatchette Group to review on my blog.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to read this this Mom Dziadul