Saturday, November 28, 2009

7

I found out on November 11th that I was expecting our seventh child. Wow. It was quite a surprise- just as much as the first 6 were, if not a little more. You see, I guess I had talked myself into believing I might be too old to get pregnant again. So I wasn't even considering pregnancy at first. But after I woke up nauseous a few mornings in a row, and my lower back started aching (among other things), I gave it some serious consideration and raced out to Walmart to buy a pregnancy test.

I paid for the test and then went immediately went into the restroom - I couldn't even wait until I got home. The result- positive. I was shocked- I mean, by now I pretty much knew it would be positive, but I was still shocked. I ran home and showed the test to Paul. You would think that after six kids, he'd know what a positive test looked like, but nope. I showed it to him and he said, "Well, I don't know if it's positive or negative!" I said, Have I ever showed you a negative one?? And then the realization hit him. It was a good thing he was already sitting down- he might have fallen over.

7 children. It seems so much more than six. I still can hardly believe I'm pregnant again; however, reality is sinking in pretty quickly. I am nauseous 24/7. I've only gotten sick once, but came close many, many times. The house has pretty much fallen to pieces and we are so behind on the laundry I don't know if we'll ever catch up. But, that's not true- I know we will catch up, it may just take a little time. And the house will still be here when I feel better in a few months. (!)
I know this will pass- I just forget every time how wearisome it is to feel queasy all. the. time.

Yet, on the other hand, I welcome the nausea. The nausea pretty much tells me the baby is doing well. I miscarried in 2003, and the first symptom (which I didn't realize at the time) was the loss of nausea. So, while I may get tired of it, I also welcome it.

I'm sure you've all watched the video of Thanksgiving when we told Paul's family. (If you haven't, you need too!) They were shocked and the reactions were priceless! We told the kids a few days after we found out- all except Samuel. We knew he would not be able to keep that secret! I forgot all about the fact that he didn't know on Thanksgiving and didn't even give him a thought with all the goings on about the baby. We started eating and about 5 minutes later, he was by my side, tapping me.

"Mom", he said. "Are you going to have a baby?" I felt so bad I hadn't told him. Yes, I said. Oh he replied with big eyes! He came back to me several times during the meal, telling me that he couldn't believe I was going to have a baby. It was so cute!

So, I covet your prayers. I'm no spring chicken- I'll be 44 when I deliver this baby next summer. And I have high blood pressure that rises slowly over the course of a pregnancy. And, as I have already mentioned, I miscarried a few years back and that is always in the front of my mind. So your prayers for my health and well being and also for the health of the baby are much appreciated!

PS- We're praying for a girl! (But would be just as happy with another boy)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying much for the health of both you and this baby. GOD is so good. We are happy and so excited you would think it was the first grandchild all over again. Praying the illness will pass quickly and the joy will carry you through a safe delivery. We know she/he will be a great blessing to our whole family. love, Mom D.

Anonymous said...

your family is awesome, so happy for you! I got a little tearful while reading this!! :) Love you!

Anna