Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Utmost for His Highest

I was introduced to My Utmost for His Highest, many years ago.  My Mom has read it for years and Paul bought a copy for me many years ago for Christmas.  However, I never made it past a few days of reading it before I'd put it aside for another devotional book.  I always wanted to read it but felt it was too "deep" for whatever time I was at in my life.
My Aunt Roxie has been cleaning out her library and has sent us several boxes of great books.  She told me ahead of time she was sending a copy of My Utmost for His Highest.

 But it wasn't just an ordinary copy.  It was my Grandma's copy.  Roxie gave it to her in 1982, just a few short years before she died.
 It had all her markings in it, all done in red pencil, all done very neatly.  I was thrilled to get it and I began reading it.
 And I loved it.  I can't wait to read it everyday and read what Grandma had underlined, and see what had spoken to her on that day.  It's almost as if I have a little bit of her back.  I can see which passages were important and on some of the pages she wrote little notes.
If you have never read it, you should try it.  It is not devotional "fluff" and it will not make you "feel good" most days.  In fact, I feel convicted most every day I read it.  I'm now underlining what speaks to me, in a blue pen, so that one day I can pass it down to my daughter or granddaughter and they can have something that meant alot to both me and their great-grandmother.

How cool is that?

No comments: