Saturday, January 20, 2007

Oprah

I was watching a disc from Oprah's 20th anniversary special. Now, I can take or leave Oprah. Sometimes I really enjoy her show, sometimes she bores me to tears. I can't remember who she was talking to, but whoever it was, blew me away with her comment. This lady asked, "When your child walks in the door, do your eyes light up?" Oprah said, "What?" She said, "When you see your child, do your eyes light up? As mom's, usually when we see our children, we see what needs fixed, liked a zipper down or mussed up hair, and we focus on fixing these things and think our children see how much we care by fixing those things. We're wrong. Your children want to see your eyes light up just because they have walked into the room."

Wow. Was I under conviction. I can be totally honest and tell you my eyes do not light up except for my baby. What would that mean to my kids? I know when I was a kid (even now) if I saw my parents eyes light up, WOW! It would make my whole day. So why don't I do it?

God help me. Help me to love and enjoy my kids. And help my eyes to light up. Everytime.

Beth

No comments: