Wednesday, January 31, 2007


My first wfmw! I've been reading for a while now, and decided to join the fun this Wednesday.
I dislike browning ground beef or ground venison. It takes a significant amount of time and makes a significant mess. But, alas, I've found a better way!
I load up my crockpot with ground beef/venison. When I was using ground beef, I'd buy 1 or 2 of the 5 lb. packs and stick it in the crockpot on low overnight. The next morning, voila! All the hamburger was brown. I drained it- be careful, it's alot of grease-, let it cool a bit and then divide it up between freezer bags. I put in about 1 1/2 lbs each ( I have a big family). When I need browned hamburger, I pull a bag out and let it thaw or pop it in the mike for 5 minutes and proceed with the recipe.
It works the same with venison but without the large amount of grease. You could also season it before you freeze it; make some batches with taco seasoning, etc.
It works for me. Read some more over at Rocks in My Dryer.
http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great timesaver! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Super idea! I like to have stuff made ahead of time, but I hate doing it!!

Mari
Slowing Down
Franklin Foto
Come visit me. I'm a nice girl!!

Nikki said...

Great idea! I blogged a week or so ago about cooking meat in the oven for WFMW. I like your idea much better because you don't have to go check on it!