Monday, September 2, 2013

September

There is something comforting about September.  The going back to school, the end of summer, of swimming and sunning and days without schedules.  There's something settling about a routine, about knowing what each day will hold and about returning to that each Fall.

We haven't started school at home in earnest yet.  We started CC 4 weeks ago but I just wasn't ready to start at home with our daily routine.  I wanted to soak up the last days of summer and spend time just playing and swimming with my children.  We didn't get to do as much of that as I had hoped, but we did more than if I wouldn't have tried at all.

We will start school in earnest on Wednesday.  This is a monumental school year for us.  It will be Ben's first as he is in Kindergarten, and Anna's last, as she is a Senior.  Then in between those two will be Ellie, who is in her first year of high school and Sam, who is in 3rd grade.

It's been 3 years since I've had 4 in school.  The last time that happened, Zack was a senior and Sam was in Kindergarten.  Funny how that is repeated this year.

And of course we have Miss Emma who will be flittering in and out of Ben's schooling, I'm sure.  I'm planning on letting her listen in and participate in anything Ben does and see what she can pick up.  She's just 3, so I'm not expecting much, but I have a feeling I'll be surprised at how much she soaks up.

This is our 16th year of homeschooling.  On one hand, that is incredible that it has been that long.  On the other hand, it seems like I've been homeschooling for 26 years!  Honestly, it is such a way of life now that it is just routine for us.  Most days.  Maybe. ;)

So here's to a good year.  A year where my children learn and blossom and enjoy their educational pursuits.  A year where I enjoy teaching them and enjoy seeing them learning and loving to learn.  A year where we all learn together and enjoy God and His creation.

(Or more realistically, a year where we actually can find pencils and the sharpener.  A year where no one loses text books or notebooks.  A year where we start school before 10Am.  A year where the teacher gets dressed before school starts.  A year where we remember we are all friends.  haha)

Here's to a great year!

No comments: