Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas from our family to yours.

It occurred to me this past week, as we were waiting for Zachary to arrive, that generations have shifted.  I remember, as a kid, driving out to Kansas to visit my Grandparents.  I have vivid memories of pulling into their driveway, and Grandpa and Grandma would excitedly open the door, their faces full of anticipation.  Their kids had arrived.

In more recent years, it was my mom and dad opening the door, welcoming my family to their home.  They had usually waited all day for us to get there, and you could almost feel the excitement in the air when we arrived.

Friday night, it was Paul and I waiting for our child to arrive.  And it is us who now know the feeling of having all the kids home and under one roof.  And it is us who are so full of excitement and contentment.

Where did the time go?  It doesn't seem so long ago that I was a young girl in the back seat of my dad's car, kind of curious about all the excitement brought about by our arrival.  And now, I am a middle aged mother who is experiencing that excitement.

The blink of an eye.  It happens in the blink of an eye.  Every moment is precious because time is so fleeting and relentless.  It never lets up.

Enjoy this day, every second of it.  I intend to.



No comments: