Thursday, November 18, 2010

I Wish...

I was in the drive through lane at Sonic this morning, waiting for my large cup of ice water. (For some reason, ice water tastes the best from Sonic!). My mind was wandering and I found myself thinking about what I wished for. I would love to tell you it was something profound, like world peace or the defeat of evil, but, alas, it wasn't. It was something very trivial.

"I wish I had alot of money" my mind informed me and before I could even wrap myself around that thought, another one came along. "I wish I was skinny". Subconsciously, I was looking at a lady, sitting at a table with her daughter and they were eating lunch. I wanted to run home, grab my kids and take them out to lunch without having to be concerned about how I was going to pay for it and without having to be concerned about what I was eating and how that was going to affect me.

Thoughts are powerful things and when we pay too much attention or give too much weight to them, they can affect our mood and our outlook. I could feel this starting to happen, even though I was only slightly aware of what was happening.

Then another thought entered my mind.

"There are mothers who wish their children were healthy".

Wow. I know that thought didn't come from me.

"There are wives who wish their husbands didn't beat them."

"There are children who wish their parents were still married and kind to each other."

"There are parents who wish their children had enough to eat."

"There are husbands who wish their wives hadn't passed on before them."

"There are husbands and wives who wish they could conceive."

I get it God.

I have everything I need and most of what I want. In this season of gratefulness, I want to realize how blessed I am, and how amazing He is.

And wishing for things that really don't matter is not the way to go about that.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Wow. Just wow, Elizabeth. I needed that. :)

Jenna said...

Wow. Just wow, Elizabeth. I needed that. :)

Elizabeth said...

Me too. Obviously!!

Angie said...

I love this. Can't thank you enough for sharing... we all need a perspective lesson once in a while. This was beautiful, just beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

Great Perspective! Most of the time it's hard to realize what we're "wishing" for is really just being discontent. SO many things to be thankful for, why dwell on what we don't have!? Your family is beautiful (by the way!) ;)
LOVE you for being so frank.

Anna