Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Yankees or Red Sox?


This time of year brings out the savage baseball beasts in our family. I am a diehard Yankees fan and have been since I was a kid living in New York during the days of the Yankees heyday. Paul is a diehard Red Sox fan, being brought up in New England. If you know anything about baseball rivalries, you know that the Yankees and Red Sox have one of the longest and bitterest (is that a word?) sports rivalries. I have tried to persuade each of my children to love the Yankees as I do. I trained Paul Jr, when he was only a year old, to cheer when I said Yankees and boo when I said Red Sox. Sadly, that was the last time he cheered for the Yankees. My only Yankees fan is Ellie and she would root for anyone that I did.

Sam is a little trickier. He vows he loves the Red Sox to his dad, but when it's just me and him, he vows he loves the Yankees. We tell him that he is just being "politically correct". I've been trying to bring him over, out of the darkside of Red Sox fans and into the light that is the Yankees. I've been telling him that the Red Sox are losers (as evidenced by their losses these past few games.) I've even taught him the loser sign. Tonight his dad was riding him hard about the Red Sox and as much as I tried, he would NOT admit he liked the Yankees. After a while, in exasperation, he said, "I LIKE THOSE LOSERS!".

Yes, Sam, you finally got it right.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

It appears we may have to send a sympathy card to Paul!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

We'll keep working on him!

Sherry