Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday

In the past six weeks or so, I've started making kombucha (koombushoo-I think). It is a fermented drink, supposedly full of healthy probiotics. There are so many claims on its addition to a healthy diet. I'm not sure if any or all are true, but I make it because I like the taste! I gave up soda in October- not a drop since. I was a 2 liter a day girl at one point in my life and craved soda. I gave it up because of the sugar and because I knew it wasn't good for me.

When I first read about kombucha on www.welltellme.com, I wasn't sure about it. But, I took the plunge and discovered I enjoy it. It tastes like a tart apple cider with fizz. My favorite so far has been the ginger kombucha- like a sweet, fizzy ginger ale. Right now, I have black cherry and peach brewing.

All you need is black tea, flavored tea, sugar, water and a "mushroom". The mushroom is a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast. You can buy them off of ebay and other places on the web. There are so many directions all over the internet, I'm not going to write the directions out here. Do a google search and you'll be surprised at how much you find. Do a search on google videos and you can see some videos of people making it.

I'll have some extra "mushrooms" in about 10 days if anyone wants one.

Read more at http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com.

6 comments:

Goslyn said...

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I would love a "mushroom" if you're serious about sharing.

Neat tip!

You can email me at goslyn (at) gmail (dot) com

Anonymous said...

Oh, me, me, me! I want one pretty pppllleeaaassseee. I've heard this is good stuff and not like Kefir.

I tried kefir this time last year (I actually got the grains) it was the worst tasting stuff I've ever put to my lips. I'm not picky, squimmish and bad tastes do not bother me, but that stuff was terrible! I suggest if you want to add Kefir to your diet, use the stuff from the grocery store.

Lines From The Vine said...

I would love to have a mushroom too! Please email me if you end up with an extra! :)

Elizabeth said...

christina,

Email me at edziadul@aol.com. I'll have some new ones in about 10 days. You didn't leave your email address so I can't get in touch with you.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, yep it's me, you can give them to me Sunday...now I have to go and read what to do with them...I'm glad you left a link on your entry.
Thanks!
See you Sunday
Christina

mira said...

I would love a mushroom. I have been wanting to make this and haven't tried it because I wasn't sure how easy/hard it was. Thank you for your offer to share.

email address is
mira underscore dessy at yahoo dot com.