Saturday, October 7, 2017

September 13, 2017, Part Two

I sat in the van, with the air on full force, watching the firemen wrap up what they were doing.  They had removed the stove from the house in their efforts to put out the fire.  They were going in and out, doing who knows what.  I couldn't cool down, so I sat in the van.  I called Anna and Zack, and then my mom.  I felt bad calling them, but I did not want anyone to find out on Facebook.  I finally realized I had to use the restroom, but I did not want to go in the house where the kids were.  I knew they were going to ask about Schnitzel.  I went and got Paul, and we went in to tell them the sad news.

Sam and Emma cried.  Ben took it hard, but didn't cry.  Jack listened, but I'm sure he didn't understand.  It was sad to tell them and see their reactions.  Sharon had been so kind to them.  They were having a Christmas in September party, watching the Grinch and eating snacks.  I am so grateful to Sharon for trying to make sure the kids were ok.

It wasn't long after this that the firemen asked us if we wanted to go into the house.  Paul didn't want me too, but I wanted to see.  We went in the back door, into the laundry room and my first impression was that it was gray.  The ceilings and the walls were now gray, and the fan blades were now hanging straight down.  It was unreal.  We walked further in and I realized that I wouldn't be able to go any further because I was wearing flip flops.  The fireman told me I needed better shoes.  I told him all my shoes were in the house.  It was funny, yet, it wasn't.

The kitchen was destroyed.  It was black and unrecognizable.  The dining room was only a bit better.  I couldn't get a good look at the living room, but I was sure it was destroyed also.  I didn't stay in too long- it was still very warm and the smell of smoke was strong.

I took the kids and we went to my inlaws.  They had quickly prepared beds for everyone, and the kids were exhausted.  It was now almost 11.  I took Ben, Emma and Jack upstairs and got them situated in their beds and they were out, almost immediately.  I was too wound up to sleep yet, so I went downstairs where Sam was.  We watched tv for a while.

Meanwhile, Paul, Ellie, Paul Jr. and a couple men from our church were getting as many valuables as they could from the house.  With so much damage, there was no way to secure the house.  They brought some stuff over to Paul's parents house and went back for more.

I decided I needed to run to Walmart.  We had nothing.  Sam didn't even have shoes.  No hairbrush, no toothbrush, no clothes, etc.  Sam and I went out and got in the van and Paul pulled in behind us, unloading more stuff.  Ellie decided to come to Walmart with us.  When we got there, we got a message from Paul.  Another fire had broken out in the attic, a pretty large fire.  He, along with Paul jr. and Dale had been in the basement, and Paul Jr. had noticed it.  One firetruck was still on the scene in case another fire broke out.  They loaded the attic with water to be sure the fire was out.  This in turn caused all the ceilings to collapse and all the stuff in the attic to fall out.

The second fire was just as devastating as the first.

No comments: