Thursday, August 17, 2017

Epic Road Trip 2017 Day 4

Wednesday was another beautiful day.  The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect.  I again got up to take Paul to the church he was speaking at, but on the way, we stopped at a deli for a Long Island bagel.  It was so, so good.  There is nothing like a freshly made bagel.  After dropping Paul off, I stopped at another deli and bought some to take back to the kids.  They scarfed them down.   I was excited this morning.  I had planned a lunch with an old friend of mine from junior and senior high.  I had not seen her since the day we graduated- in 1984- over 33 years earlier.  So we got ready and jumped in the van and drove to Huntington where the Christian school I went to was located.  Sadly, the building had been torn down many years ago, but it was fun driving down old familiar roads.  I dropped the kids off at a gorgeous park and headed to downtown Huntington to a Mexican restaurant that I had eaten at for a field trip for Spanish class back in high school.  (This picture below is from 8th grade.  Kim and I are on the top row.  She is wearing glasses and I am wearing the multi colored striped shirt.)
 It was almost surreal sitting down and chatting for almost 2 hours with Kim.  She is an amazing woman.  Her parents started and ran a rescue mission in Huntington for over 50 years and several years ago, after her dad passed on, she moved back and helped her mom run the mission.  Sadly and very suddenly, her mom passed away earlier this year, and Kim now runs the mission.  She is a true servant of Christ and I was just so thrilled to hear her story of God's faithfulness in her life.  I wish we lived closer to each other.  But the time we did have was so enjoyable.  The waiter snapped this picture of us below.

 We sat right in front of this open door with these gorgeous flowers.  It was a perfect day.

 After lunch I picked up the kids and we headed to Sagamore Hill, Teddy Roosevelt's home.  Long Island is beautiful!  His home was right by the ocean, in this beautiful setting.



 The kids signed up to do a scavenger hunt throughout the museum.  Ellie was a great big sister and helped them find everything.
 Jack wanted me to take his picture under these guns.  For dad. :)
 One of our history sentences we learn in school is about Teddy Roosevelt and his rough riders, so this exhibit was especially meaningful to us.

 They each received a badge for completing the scavenger hunt.

 Beautiful, beautiful day.
 After we went through the museum, we left to go pick Paul up at the church, and then headed to Jones Beach.  Sadly, I do not have any pictures of the beach.  One of the only things I forgot when we left GA was the battery and charger to my real camera, so I did not have my read camera for the the first few days of the trip.  It was too bright for my cell phone at the beach, so no pictures.  But we did have a grand time!  The water was so cold.  I only put my feet in and only for a minute.  The cold didn't stop the kids though.  They swam and swam and swam and played in the sand and swam some more.  Even Paul got all the way in as he tried to show them how to ride the waves.  Ellie got in to her waist.  Jack was fascinated with it all.  Except the shower afterwards.  He did NOT like that and anyone in the vicinity heard his blood curdling screams.
Afterward, we went to Roosevelt Field Mall.  This mall used to be an airstrip where Charles Lindbergh took off for his flight around the world.  It is also where I used to come with my family when I was a kid.  It is a very large mall!  We only walked around a small portion of it.  You can see a partial list of the stores on the display in front of Paul.

Wednesday was a great day!

No comments: