Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Good Day

I'm sure everyone knows the "big news" by now- word does travel fast when you post it on Facebook! Paul and I found out yesterday we're having a baby girl. If you remember back a month or so, I had an ultrasound and we had anticipated finding out the gender then, but the baby was in the wrong position.

When I went back to the doctor after that, I asked about having a Level 2 ultrasound. I had one with Sam and one with Ben and just assumed that I'd have one with this baby. (A Level 2 ultrasound is just a normal ultrasound, but a lot more in depth. They look at everything and measure everything. It is standard procedure for women over 35.) The doctor said that they normally only give 1 ultrasound, but that she would ask. Well, they must have realized my "advanced" age and decided to give me one.

This was 2 weeks ago. I decided then and there on the spot that I wasn't telling anyone except Paul. The first ultrasound was a bit disappointing for everyone and honestly, I felt pressured. I didn't want to go through that again, so I decided to keep it a secret. This meant I told alot of lies. I'm sorry if I lied to you. I tried not to and avoid the question, but sometimes there was no way around it. I figured everyone would forgive me if I could tell them the gender.

So yesterday found us bright and early at the hospital. I knew as soon as the tech walked in that we would have a better experience. She asked right away if we knew the gender and we said not yet. She got started, and within a few minutes she made the announcement. "This baby's a girl".

I was shocked. I mean I was really shocked. With the last 2 being boys, I guess I just assumed it would be a boy. Paul was elated! I never realized how much he hoped it would be a girl until just that moment. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy it was a girl; but, I would have been very happy with a boy also. I was kind of neutral on gender as long as the baby was healthy.

She weighs 2 lbs., 7 oz., and is measuring a little big for her age, which is totally normal for my babies. We were able to get a nice picture of her face and profile, and see so much of her.

After the ultrasound, I had a doctor appointment where I found out my blood pressure and my blood sugar were great! I had also lost 4 lbs since not eating sugar and limiting carbs, which means I have only gained 2 pounds this pregnancy. (Before you get all over me about depriving the baby, remember, she is BIG for her age. She's getting exactly what she needs.)

So, all in all, it was a good day. I'm still a little in shock that I'm having my third daughter. It's been a long time since we had a girl- over 11 years. We have boxes of boy clothes, but very, very little girl clothes.

God is good. And I don't say that because it's a girl. I say that because it's true. He'd be just as good if it was a boy.

2 comments:

jwcreath@gmail.com said...

Thinking pink! So fun to buy girl clothes - can't wait! I'm with you - a boy is great too! Just love any babies! Can't wait to meet Emma!

Love y'all

Dar

Chuck said...

Glad to hear all the good news - and that your blood pressure/sugar is at the levels it should be - we will continue to keep you and the baby's health in our daily prayers and that the remainder of your pregnancy will be enjoyable.