Saturday, July 7, 2007

Bleach is Banned from my house!


We had a crisis at our house Thursday (my birthday). Zack had been pressure washing the front of the house, using bleach. He had finished, but had not put away all the bleach containers. Paul took me out for my birthday, and when we returned, he ran up to the church for a few minutes. I took Sam out on the porch with me. Sam played around with a few things while I sat on the porch swing. After a few minutes, Sam went behind the swing to push me, which he does quite often. I turned, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw him with a bleach container up to his mouth. Before I could get it from him, he has taken a swallow.


I went crazy. I always used to be calm in these types of situations, but no more. I screamed and grabbed him and went in the house. Sam was screaming and crying also. I don't know if he was scared or if the bleach burned in his mouth and throat or what. I ran right for the phone and the poison control number. Paul Jr. was reading the back of the bleach bottle, trying to figure out what to do. The man on the poison control said to give him milk. Sam does not like milk, so that was hard, but we managed to get a few sips down him. He promptly threw up. Alot.


To make a long story short, Paul came home and took over, of which I was very glad. Sam settled down, so we decided to take him into his doctor, which is open until 11. The doc said Sam would be fine, and that a mouthful of bleach will not hurt him. Was I ever relieved!


Then yesterday, Zack woke up with a red face. He had been the one doing the pressure washing, and apparently, some of the bleach got on his face. It wasn't too bad yesterday, but when he woke up this morning, his face was very puffy and very red. It looked just like a burn. So I took him to the doctor, and he has a first degree chemical burn on his face. We felt so bad. He has been in the shower most of the day, trying to get some relief. The doctor gave him silvadine cream and told him to take benedryl and motrin for the pain.


So that's been the excitement around here! No more bleach!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't blame you. Wow, what a scare! I'm glad everyone's going to be okay.