Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Attic

 The attic was the last place left with our things.  Because of the fire and the ceilings falling, they were unable to get to it safely until everything else was cleared out.  I didn't hold out hope that there would be much left up there, but there were a few things I really wanted.  In the box above, is a part of our Christmas tree, obviously ruined.
 We stored a lot of clothes in the attic, in rubbermaid tubs and in plastic bags.  We had just emptied and reorganized the attic this past January.  Most of the clothes were kids clothes.  I had all of Jack's outgrown baby clothes for grandchildren, along with a lot of Emma's toddler clothes on up for Myra.  Then I had clothes for all the boys, Paul had camo up there, luggage, suitcases and all our holiday decorations.  This box was full of clothes, and obviously, ruined.
 This box held my Fall decorations.  They all had to be thrown away.  Whatever wasn't ruined by fire, seemed to be ruined by the large amount of water they filled the attic with to put the fire out.
 As I went through each and every box, there was one box in particular I was looking for.  Some of these boxes still had a considerable amount of water in them and the contents were ruined.  I was looking for Christmas ornaments.  There were some very special ornaments I had made last year that I wanted to find.  I had looked through every box until there was just one box left.  The lid had melted a little bit onto the box, so I couldn't get it open.  Joseph came and ripped that box top off, and there was the box I was looking for!  And because the lid had melted on, the contents inside were preserved.  No fire, no smoke, no water.  It was miraculous. 
 And here is one of the ornaments that I wanted so badly.  It has the hospital hats from the older four kids.  I can't tell you how relieved I was to find it.  I shared my joy with the workers at the house, but I don't think they understood. :)

This was another special ornament, with both sets of my grandparents.  I know I could have made another, but I'm not sure I would have been able to get their handwriting.  To see my name, written by my Grandma, is priceless.  Or to see "Grandma" written in her own handwriting is so special.

I felt like God smiled on me.  Of all the boxes in the attic to survive perfectly, it was this one.  This box has many many other ornaments we've used through the years, all perfectly preserved.  It was a miracle.

No comments: